[pct-l] Permanent physical changes from LD hike?

----------
> From: Bighummel@aol.com
> To: csiechert@hotmail.com; pct-l@edina.hack.net
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Permanent physical changes from LD hike?
> Date: Thursday, January 25, 2001 2:56 PM
>
> Carl Siechert writes:
>
> > During the trip I developed a little (1x2x4 cm) pocket of fat on each
hip
> bone,

WELL THAT EXPLAINS IT !!!!!  and here I had been wondering where those
pockets of fat came from  (I would not necessarily use the adjective
"little")

I used an old Kelty up until 3 years ago.  this particular pack I got in
1963, directly from Kelty (it was the only way you could get them) - it had
a single piece of webbing for the waist band - no padding at all.  I liked
it that way; the padding was too broad and hot.  Besides, us real women do
it that way.  Went thru 3 packs on the frame, 2 of them home made.  I use
the same waist strap for 35 years by putting a new grommet in when the
strap frayed at the point of attachment. the waistband is now so short that
I can
 barely buckle it.  I thought about taking it on my thruhike and making a
silnylon bag, but when I checked the frame - It was virtually worn thru
where the hip D attachment rubbbed (probaby from
transport on dirt roads).

Well, at any rate, you did not mention the little ledges of fat that have
evolved on the butte and thigh to support the peculiar conformation of a
Kelty. I wondered if this has befallen only those hier to the realm of
unpadded waist strap users

Joanne