[pct-l] Complaint about Red's Meadow pricing for packages--

In a message dated 1/24/2001 4:19:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kdpo@pacbell.net writes:

<< Red's Meadow isn't a necessary resupply point. Vermillion to Tuolumne is
 less than four days. More important: Red's Meadow wasn't fully open when we
 through hiked and arrived about June 21st. We did eat lunch, but couldn't
 buy anything that was on our shopping list (deet, cheese, ice cream).

I think you must have been there a little early.  When I arrived there
sometime early July, the store was well stocked and open, as was the
restaurant.  It would have been quite easy to resupply for the next few days
to Toulemne Meadows and just as easy to resupply at VVR to Red's Meadow.

<<Southbound JMT hikers there at the same time were in a snit when they
 couldn't buy cigarettes >>

That would have been a bummer for me too.  In the two days at VVR, I probably
bought 3 packs of cigarettes at $5 a pop, which was a killer,  Red's only
charged $3.50!  Needless to say, I like Red's too.

In order to support my habit, I've had to move to a tobacco state where it
only cost $2 per pack.  As soon as I quit, I plan on moving out west..........

Sly