[pct-l] Bivy Sack

Want some input on the Bivy please.
  My friend got one for Xmas and say he will use it on
our hike  PCT Stevens Pass to Rainy Pass in early Sept. in the North
Cascades.  It has a hoop for the chest area.  Now can you really get dressed
and undressed inside this thing or are you,,. exposed to the elements to do
this. Do people with Bivys hike with a small tarp also? And how about rain I
was thinking of leaving my silnylon tarp tent home and taking a small tent
with fly.  You never know what is going to happen in the North Cascades in
Washington State.  this will be a 10 day hike for me.
So tell me about bivies, thanks,

Marge (the old gal)