[pct-l] slackpacking

CMountainDave@aol.com wrote:

"I even met one couple who hired someone to follow them around in a motor
home and they practically slack packed the entire PCT! (I'm NOT defending
this behavior)"

Dave - do you feel there is something "wrong" with slack packing?  Have
you, by chance, read Bob Holtel's book "Soul Sweat and Survival on the
Pacific Crest trail"? He ran the entire PCT over the course of three
summers carrying just a fanny pack, and had a support crew meet him at the
end of nearly every day. That's the way "he" wanted to experience the
trail. Are there list members who feel this is inappropriate??  Just
wondering...

As some of you know, on my hike this past summer, my girlfriend Nancy met
me with a car at road crossings during her vacation break, so I was able to
slack pack around 700 miles of my 4400 mile journey. I was happy for the
support, and wild horses couldn't have kept her away :)) In no way did her
company diminish my experince, though it made it different from the typical
hike, which I appreciated since this was my 3rd+ thru hike. Moreover, if we
owned a motor home, we would have used it! In my book, the definition of
"hiking" is not "suffering". (I was a competitive distance runner for 20
years and indured enough suffering to last several lifetimes!!)  Anyone who
travels the PCT has my respect.

Dave (Walkon)

P.S. Ron - thanks for your work on the "finisher's list". Do you happen to
know if anyone other than Scott and myself turned around at the border? I
had heard that several other people were entertaining the thought. Class of
2001: the PCT YOYO is still up for grabs!