RE: [pct-l] shoes

Saskia,

I always thought I had strong ankles until I tried the low running shoes.  I
had a pair of New Balance waterproof running shoe.  This particular model
trashed my feet due to its inability to breath in the heat of Southern
Calif. I came off the trail.  Next I went to a New Balance soft hiking boot,
I sprained my ankle quite badly in this boot. As I was going into the Hi
Sierra in 18 days I did what I was told by the doc. and did all the therapy
and then wore the soft brace with the plastic inserts.  This worked for me
at the time.  Later I wore the soft hikers again without the brace and
managed to get my foot wedge in rocks and fell over and broke the leg at the
boottop. So now......

I am in a Ladies GoreTex Montrail hiking boot (semi light) and after getting
use to the weight again, my feet are happy.  So I say hike in what ever you
are comfortable in, however the first 700 miles you have to factor in the
heat.

Cheers,  (Marge the old gal)