Re: [pct-l] shoes

Jeffrey wrote,

> On the eighth day of a 25 day section hike on the CDT this summer I turned
my ankle badly enough to consider being horsed out for a couple hours,
before a convenient spring and a massive dose of ibuprofen allowed me to
walk six miles to a trailhead.

> I didn't and don't want to give up my trusty NB 580s and a doctor gave me
a very lightweight, lace up ankle brace.  It has two stiff sheets of plastic
on either side of the ankle.  I can play raquetball now, and can catch
myself much earlier when the ankle fails...

I have long advocated carrying a lightweight ankle support when doing a
major hike. These are very light, take almost no space, and can save the day
when an ankle turn happens. The type with the plastic on the sides are
usually used after a sprain but would be hard to carry in a pack. One of the
neophrene or stretchy compression type wraps are perfect for packing. Below
is the section out of "Fixing Your Feet" about ankle supports.

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes; Second Edition
www.footworkpub.com

Ankle Supports

    Weak ankles can be a problem, particularly on trails. After turning or
spraining an ankle, an ankle support will provide the support and protection
necessary for light training. Weak ankles can also benefit from an ankle
support. Adhesive taping of the ankle can be helpful, however, for it to be
effective someone who is experienced must do the taping. While taping
restricts extreme motion, the tape loses strength as it moves with the skin.
Forty percent of its strength can be lost within 20 minutes.
    Ankle supports are typically made from a compression type sock. Some
offer a figure-8 style stretch wrap which gives additional strength and
support. Since the supports vary in fit and material, experiment wearing the
support against the skin or over a sock to find the best fit on your foot.
All the ankle supports listed below are compact in size and fit easily into
a fannypack or backpack. If you are prone to ankle injuries, consider
carrying one as a preventative measure.

Products

    AnkleWrap - U-Wrap      The AnkleWrap is a convenient wrap for the ankle
that is different than the typical ACE wrap. Made from an open-celled,
elastomeric, non-latex foam, the wrap that breathes to wick away
perspiration, stays put with superior sticking power, and is fully
adjustable. At 10 feet long by 1 1/2 inches wide, it is long enough to make
a complete figure-8 wrap with three heel locks. The PrattStrap is a similar
wrap made for Patella Tendonitis and ITB syndrome. For more information
contact fabrifoam Products, 900 Springdale Drive, Exton, PA 19341; (800)
577-1077; www.fabrifoam.com.
    Cho-Pat Ankle Support     The Cho-Pat Ankle Support provides compression
to the ankle with a removable Velcro fastener which wraps in a figure-8
around the ankle giving additional compression at specific locations of the
ankle while providing stabilization. The support is made of neoprene. The
unisex sizes are based on instep circumference. For more information contact
Cho-Pat, Inc. PO Box 293, Hainesport, NJ 08036; (800) 221-1601;
www.cho-pat.com.
    Cropper Medical Bio Skin      Cropper Medical makes Bio Skin, a
compression support material. Bio Skin is made up of a hypo-allergenic Lycra
knit outer layer, a SmartSkin membrane that absorbs moisture and wicks it
from the skin, a Lycra knit/fleece inner layer, and a SkinLok layer against
the skin. Bio Skin stretches with the body's movement while giving
compression without bunching and binding, and does not constrict the joints.
The SmartSkin membrane provides higher levels of moisture vapor transmission
as the activity produces more perspiration and heat. The three designs
include a standard pull on ankle skin, a figure-8 ankle skin, and a visco
ankle skin with a figure-8 wrap that includes visco polymer inserts around
malleolus ankle bones. The Bio Skin material will not tear even if cut into.
Cropper Medical also makes models for knee problems or injuries, including
hinged braces for athletes needing knee support. For more information
contact Cropper Medical, 240 East Hersey Street, Suite 2, Ashland, OR 97520;
(800) 541-2455.
    Kallassy Ankle Support     The Kallassy Ankle Support is a proven design
for rehabilitation of severe ankle sprains. The support is made of
nylon-lined neoprene that provides warmth and compression. A strap that
wraps around the ankle provides stability first and secondly by a
non-stretch lateral strapping system that helps prevent inversion motions of
the ankle. If you are prone to turned ankles, this support is one of the
most stabilizing ankle supports offered. A lace-up version is offered but it
would not be as comfortable for running and hiking. The Rebound Orthopedic
Supports Division of Tecnol sells the Kallassy. For more information contact
Tecnol Consumer Products, 6625 Industrial Park Boulevard, Fort Worth, TX
76180; (800) 832-3182. Also available from Medco Sports Mediciine.
    Perform 8 Lateral Ankle Stabilizer      The Perform 8 provides excellent
external stabilization of the ankle's lateral (outer) ligaments, similar to
ankle taping. While a lightweight elastic compression sock provides support
to soft tissue, an elastic figure-8 configuration strap wraps around the
foot. Pads protects and relieve pressure on the Achilles tendon. This
support is excellent for athletes prone to chronic ankle sprains. For more
information contact Brown Medical Industries, 1300 Lundberg Drive West,
Spirit Lake, IA 51360; (800) 843-4395; www.brownmed.com.
    TakeOff  Ankle Protec Wrap      The Protec ankle wrap uses the fabrifoam
material to make a lightweight and thin, slip resistant, breathable wrap
with a moisture transfer system. This one size fits most adults wrap
provides adjustable compression without bulkiness and will fit inside a
shoe. For more information contact Smith+Nephew Inc., One Quality Drive, PO
Box 1005, Germantown, WI 53022; (800) 558-8633.
    Stromgren Ankle Support        Stromgren Supports makes a good ankle
support for general use. Their double strap model offers a unique sock style
support with two elastic straps that wrap around the ankle to provide the
benefit of taped ankle support without the tape. This product fits fairly
loose and has folded-over sewn edges at the forefoot and the heel cutout
that might be irritating on extended hikes or runs. For more information
contact Stromgren Supports, PO Box 1230, Hayes, KS 67601; (913) 625-9036.
    Other Ankle Supports      Additional ankle supports can usually be found
in drug stores and sporting goods stores. Three examples are those made by
Cramer, Mueller, and Spenco. Cramer's neoprene ankle support wraps around
the ankle. Mueller's Neoprene Ankle Support is a one-piece support with
stretch nylon on each side. The Spenco Fiberflex is an elastic bandage for
the ankle made from elastic and transverse nylon fibers. Ace wraps, or
similar style elastic wraps are helpful after a sprain, but provide little
support against initially turning your ankle.

To:            Saskia <saskia.home@wanadoo.nl>, pct-l@backcountry.net