[pct-l] shoes

    On my "97 thru hike, Wolf took a picture of me sitting on some dry rock next to Muir Hut. Snow blankets the surrounding mountains. In the photo, two sets of foot wear can be seen: my Teva sandles ( I wore Tevas every step of the way that year) and Wolf's Nike leather hi top basketball shoes (that he wore all the way on his thru hike). As others have said, "proper fit" is the most important consideration when buying performance footwear. (Wolf also traversed the Sierra snows without an ice axe - he picked up a sharp, pointy rock to use for self arrest when approaching  a steep snow slope. But that's another thread:)...)
    During this year's megahike, I traveled the desert in sandles, the snow in low top light hiking shoes, switched back to sandles at Donner Pass, then went to trail running shoes at Ashland OR because the sandles were giving me blisters on the side of my heel. I get about 1000 mile out of each pair of sandles and trail running shoes; more out of the low hikers.
    Experiment before you go!

Dave(WalkOn)

To:            <pct-l@backcountry.net>