Re: [pct-l] size, height, weight, and season limits on the PCT?

The question of limiting the number of PCT thru hikers is  good one. I feel
that thru hikers are not really an organized group just a bunch of individual
hikers or small groups on a hiking adventure. For the most part, they are not
competing with each other, but against Father Time. There is only so many
days in a season to hike from Mexico to Canada. However, there is a precedent
for limiting their numbers. In the Grand Canyon and John Muir Wilderness,
among others, there  is wisely  a limit on the TOTAL number of hikers allowed
at any given time as well as group size limits. If the PCT becomes too
popular, then I feel that quotas should be enforced especially in wilderness
areas. I'll leave it to wilderness use experts to determine the size of the
quotas.