[pct-l] horses on the PCT

I've been weighing how I feel about horses on the PCT. I have met many
horseriders and have found them to be a good group of people. I guess I feel
that they have a long history of helping out with the maintenance of the PCT
and other trails and have therefore paid their dues and certainly have a
right to be riding on these trails. True, I have seen some trail damage from
their use, but not enough to truly upset me as those dirtball dirtbikers do.
I guess my only two objections is when I encounter trail apples polluting
water sources and damage to truly sensitive areas such as wet meadows , but
I'm convinced that this is caused by a small minority of horse riders. In all
honesty trail apples along the trail don't bother me at all. However, I'm
undecided about the commercial use of horses on the PCT because while they
have the potential for causing more harm to trails due to overuse, they also
provide access to the wilderness for people who, for one legitimate reason or
another, cannot hike. Within the group size limit, of course. So I guess my
opinion is that the responsible horse riders have the legal and ethical right
to be on the PCT, but that the irresponsible ones should be heavily fined and
banned. Also, truly defined sensitive areas along the trail,(but not ON the
trail) should be identified and placed off limits to stock. A compromise in
keeping with the Wilderness Act of 1964 is in order. Seems to me that's the
way it is now.