Re: [pct-l] size, height, weight, and season limits on the PCT?

I don't think that quotas have  or should have anything to do with
"environmental Impact" because hikers along a trail probably have little if
any lasting effect on the  actual ecosystem of any given wilderness. Large
numbers of people effect the quality of the human experience in these areas
especially for those who feel the need to get away from the crowds and rush
of civilization. I realize that this sounds selfish to those who don't really
give a damn about solitude or sanctuary, but that's the real reason these
wildernesses were legislatively created to begin with, with the spirit of
John Muir's ideas in mind and I, for one, hope that never changes. We can
argue forever on what those quotas should be, but most wilderness users agree
that they should exist and be enforced. Managers of these places are far from
perfect, but someone has to decide so why not those entrusted to manage these
places rather than anarchisitic libertarian types who believe that anything
goes. I just thank my lucky stars that I live in a time when wildernesses are
valued and protected because of visionaries like Mr. Muir. Otherwise, if the
libertarian types had their way, there would be condos on sacred Crater Lake
and the John Muir hut would be a duplex.