[pct-l] size, height, weight, and season limits on the PCT?

As long as we are talking about damage (including the temporary kind) to
the trail, and the damage that users do:  why not include everybody - not
just the particular subset or user group that one just  may not happen to
like.

I have noticed that all those big feet on the tall folk that carry big
packs and especailly those walking in lugged boots or tennies, do a lot
more damage than us wee folk. This was especially true in the early season
when all those fanatic through hikers were walking through the high Sierras
or any other areas with melting snow - the miles of trails that were
immediately below the snowpack were running water.  It was impossible not
to do damage to them.  So why not limit any overnight hiker to a combined
pack and body weight of 180 pounds and close the trails if they are within
a 1000 vertical feet of any snow? (I bet Monte Dodge is listening)  That
would leave out some people you say?  That would prevent thruhiking?  I
thought the concern was about ANY damage to the trail, not about the
quantity or origin of the damage?  Besides, think of the incentive to get
in "fighting trim". Probably half the rescues of overweight, out of shape
hikers with torn tendons, and twisted ankles.

Group limits - I have not seen group limits applied to day hikers or
runners. Are any of the races on the PCT overnighters?  Is the group limit
being applied to thruhikers- everyone of which is  overnighting on the
trail and on a kind of  group race.  Is it the suggestion that thruhikers
should be considered as an aggregate group, and limits applied to their
numbers?  This would definitely limit damage to the trail as every one of
these folks does some damage.  We would have to have a lottery like the
Western States 100, and it would be great as an incentive and publicity.
We might be required to each choose a separate Campo start date.   Lets
see, if the starting season ran from April 1st to June 1st, that would be
60 days.  We could limit the starters to 60, that would make finishing more
of an accomplishment since it would be bound to reduce the numbers of
finishers.  All a matter of market economics.( as long as we are talking
about commercial activity in the parks, aren't some of the thruhikers being
sponsored or raising money for various causes?).

Ought to be other regulations that we with vision and missionary zeal can
promulgate to SAVE the trail and the wilderness.  More "shoulds" for those
who can not manage to be educated enough to use the wilderness as it should
be used.

Joanne