Re: [pct-l] Re: I carry less overall weight......

Katt writes:

<< "PS: Is this list dominated by thruhikers? I don't know. Certainly many
even
 most have thruhiked and/or long-distance hiked and many more are planning to
 do one or the other.....but.....what most on this list seem to ACTUALLY DO
 is 50-200 mile section hikes. The question: What percentage have hiked over
 200 miles in a single hike [my understanding of the ALDHA definition of a
 long-distance hike]in the last three years? I don't know."

It is my impression from participating in this list for the last three years
or so that the primary participants (excepting the lurkers that never
surface) fall into three categories predominantly: 1) thru-hikers 2) section
hikers and 3) planning to be 1 or 2.  Of the thru-hikers most have hiked the
trail in the last 5 years or so with a core of old timers going back into the
1970's plugging the heavy pack, six month thru-hike strategy until they die!
What are the percentages of 1, 2 and 3?  It is hard to even guess, but what
the hell. . .
1) 40%?
2) 30%?
3) 30%?

I just love to stick my neck out!

Best regards,

Greg "Strider" Hummel

. . . . . Stuck in the home and work routine and dreaming of the PCT and
cursing that bastard, Jeff Zimmerman ("Pennsylvania Jeff") for going again
without me! . . .