Re: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1099

In a message dated 4/11/00, Zeke writes:

<< Two of us, from the Southeast, have 10 days free between June 21 and 30.
We
 would like to hike about 8 days on the PCT, somewhere between I-80 Soda
 Springs north to the Oregon Border. We would like to cover between 50 and
100
 miles, avoid too much snow, wild mosquito outbreaks, and have beginning and
 end somewhere near where bus routes or hitching might take us eventually to
 and from Reno. Any suggestions or recommendations are most welcomed. Our
 experience on the PCT has been from Agua Dulce north to Soda Springs over
the
 past 5 years. >>

The next 10 days north from Soda Springs isn't bad but at least last year you
would have run into a bit of snow.  Sierra City or Belden both put you onto
major highways from which you can catch a ride to CiviliZation.  Hopefully,
snow conditions will be a bit better this year but you'll just have to wait
to see how it works out.  Too early to tell yet.

If you're looking for great scenery in late June, may I suggest starting at
Willamette Pass, Oregon (Hwy 58) and hiking through to Cascade Locks on the
Columbia River?  This takes you through the Three Sisters Wilderness, the
McKenzie Pass area (spectacular volcanic terrain) and the Eagle Creek Trail.
Eagle Creek is not part of the "official" PCT, but don't miss it if you want
to take the scenic route.  You probably won't have time to start your hike at
Crater Lake unless you can add a few days to your trip, but take a day to
visit it if you're in that part of the country.  It's Oregon's jewel, not to
be missed.

Many PCT throughhikers tend to write off Oregon as a stretch to get through
on the way to Northern Washington and Manning Park.  They're wrong, and are
missing a lot if they don't look up from their next footfall.  Take a camera!
 'Course, I was raised in Oregon so its just my opinion.  You want to avoid
wild mosquito outbreaks in late June?  A headnet plus DEET weighs less than
one ounce.  Or try Disneyland.  Good luck on your hike!