Re: [pct-l] Vegetarians

>From: "Robinson, Brian A" <brian.robinson@compaq.com>

>2.  It's harder to get complete nutrition in a vegetarian diet.  Those who
>don't, succumb to cravings as their bodies cry out for whatever lacks.
>Adequate protein for muscle repair is one of these.

Most hikers, on the trail, practice vegetarianism to some degree. After all,
what is pasta if not "vegetarian"? Kraft Mac and cheese is a vegetarian
entree, although granted, not vegan. Anything non-vegetarian rarely keeps
outside of a can or a state of dehydration. So going veggie is nothing out
of the ordinary on a PCT hike; it's entirely practical and it _can_ offer
balanced nutrition if the hiker knows a thing or two about nutrition. Let's
face it, lifestyle vegetarians have proven that such a diet is the equal, if
not the superior, of a meat-based diet. In my opinion, the cravings that
often result during an extended trek have little to do with the absence of
meat, or of insufficient calories. Rather, it's a lack of nutrition, plain
and simple. Meat might be one way to bolster nutrition, but it is not
necessarily the best way. On the trail, and in the towns, I'd say the hiker
can avoid meat in all forms and avoid cravings of any kind - again, if he or
she knows what constitutes good nutrition.

Speaking of cravings - let's keep in mind that these are not necessarily a
good indicator of what we need on the trail. The hiker craving ice cream is
not listening to any deep-body urge for nutrition. Maybe the body needs milk
protein in such a case, but it's all too easy to sublimate that need into
some fanciful notion that ice cream will solve the problem. I'd say the ice
cream urge, and perhaps even the hamburger urge, stems largely from a
nutritionally-deprived body and mind growing weary of trail life, and
looking for a quick pick-me-up. Like an addict, the hiker continues down the
trail eagerly anticipating the next Ben and Jerry's infusion. (not to say B
& J isn't a tasty drug)

>3.  Many people underestimate the amount of food they'll consume on the
>trail.  In '97 I lost 20 pounds eating 5,000 calories per day while hiking
>25 miles per day.

I don't believe that calories and nutrition equate. The hiker getting even
10,000 calories a day, but who gets those calories from candy bars or white
pasta, will not be fueling the body with go-power. All calories are not
created equally, and neither are carbs, proteins, or fats. All foods have
these characteristics, even Twinkies. I'd be willing to bet that the hiker
who ate nothing but Twinkies on the trail, in any quantity desired, would
proceed to lose weight rapidly as his or her health spiralled ever downward.
At the same time, the hiker who ate nothing but raw, beautiful broccoli, but
only a few crowns worth a day, would likely also lose weight and lack
go-power. So bottom line, I'd say calories are worth considering, but only
after first determining the nutritional content of the foods we're
consuming.

>4.  Trail towns don't have much vegetarian food.  If any of the above
>problems arise, there's fewer options for the vegetarian.

That's true along the PCT to the extent that the towns have little food of
any kind. I'd say we find pasta as often or more often than we do fresh
meat. Of course, the pasta would probably be white pasta, whereas the meat
might be wholesome, hormones notwithstanding. I'd say the best bet for the
hiker concerned about nutrition is to plan the mail drops and plan them
well. The hiker who fills the mail drops with Kraft and Lipton, while
expecting the towns to fill in the nutritional blanks, might be heading for
a bumpy ride along the PCT. Many of these "towns" just don't cut it,
especially where restaurants are lacking.

Are there any easy options for fueling the hiking? I'm not much of a cook,
or a trail menu planner. Which is why I've been focusing on a few key food
items that are non-perishable, easy to prepare, relatively inexpensive, and
reasonably high in nutrition. And compared to Kraft and Lipton, many foods
suddenly seem "reasonably high" in nutrition. A great source for items in
bulk has been the Whole Foods market website (www.wholefoods.com) where I've
been able to buy such things as bulk granola, seeds, nuts, and even the
Fantastic Foods instant beans, at substantial savings. And throughout all of
this gathering (as opposed to hunting), I'm keeping in mind that the weight
of food is insignificant compared to its value in sustaining life. If a
heavier food item bolsters nutrition, then it might well be worth
considering.

- Blisterfree, PCT '00