Re: [pct-l] Snow pack on San Jancito

Karl,

With several recent storms the snow pack on San Jacinto should be catching up
to average levels after starting off exceptionally dry.  I have lost my
crystal ball though and so can't comment on how much will be coming up and/or
get a chance to melt off before you go.

I'd suggest ice axe as a bare minimum.  Have snow shoes or cross country skis
on hold pending last minute snow condition requirements.  However, even in a
dry year there is likely to be several feet of snow still on the ground at
the time you state.

I have wanted to cross country ski from the Palm Springs aerial tram to
Idlewild in the spring some year.  The San Jacintos are a strange alpine
island surrounded by a sea of desert.  They can be beautiful in the Spring,
snow or not.

Have fun,

Greg "Strider" Hummel