[pct-l] Snow pack on San Jancito

Hi Folks,

Although I've been a long time subscriber, I just recently rejoined the
list after I left last Fall to hike the Annapurna Circuit.

I also quit work this year in order to go back to school. I now have
something coming up that I haven't had in over 10 years, Spring Break.
There's no question about how to spend it, go hiking, but I'm not sure
where. Right now I'm toying with the idea of doing some of the southern
PCT. I'd be starting at Mt. Laguna around March 23 and heading north for
8 or 9 days. Given my typical pace, I should make it to San Gorgornio Pass
or possibly even as far as Big Bear lake. Of course, this ignores the snow
in the San Jancitos.

Does anybody know how much snow there's likely to be? I don't have a good
feel for how much snowfall the southern PCT has been getting this year.
Northern CA, where I live, has been getting an average to heavy year.

At bare minimum, I know I'll need my ice axe. I suspect that I'll also
need my crampons and maybe snow shoes too. I'd really appreciate hearing
from anyone who has direct experience in the San Jancitos during this time
of year.

TIA,
Karl

Karl "Birdman" Brandt PCT97 LT98                       (650) 363-1350
http://www.stanford.edu/~kbrandt/