[pct-l] Snow pack on San Jancito

Karl Brandt asked :

"I'd be starting at Mt. Laguna around March 23 and heading north for
8 or 9 days. Given my typical pace, I should make it to San Gorgornio Pass
or possibly even as far as Big Bear lake. Of course, this ignores the snow
in the San Jancitos. Does anybody know how much snow there's likely to be?"

I hiked this part of the trail in March last year. The only snow I
encountered was on San Jacinto above 8,000 feet. I used running shoes and
trekking poles without a ice axe. Most areas were no problem but Glen and I
saw no tracks on Fuller Ridge and lost some time looking for the trail.

Conditions can change dramatically within a few days. On clear days I can
see both San Jacinto and San Gorgonio from my house. We had a storm over the
weekend with another forecast for tomorrow so there would probably several
feet of snow if you headed out this weekend. If we get a Santa Anna wind it
could easily be gone by the time you head out.

I'd suggest preparing for snow and then checking current conditions and
forecasts a few days before you leave. Often this is a wonderful time of
year to hike in this area.

BEGIN:VCARD
N:Miller;Read
FN:Read Miller