Re: [pct-l] A Ray supporter

From: TempeMIke@aol.com

>>I stumbled across Beyond Backpacking many months ago
>>and was spellbound by what many on this list are criticizing.

Most of the criticism seems to stem from those who have read older versions
of the material you reference. Apples and oranges. Beyond Backpacking does,
and the new version of the Handbook will, allow many more readers, and
particularly those just getting into backpacking, to take small steps toward
a lighter pack and a more enjoyable experience. One doesn't have to hike
like the author to be making progress. One need not view the book's
techniques and philosophy as a complete system in order to use each one
safely and efficiently. We can take small steps in the direction we feel
most comfortable heading, be that ultralight or some personal variation on
the theme. Or we can walk away from the book with boots and big pack, safe
in the knowledge that we've seen all sides. In Beyond Backpacking, the
learning curve is extremely gentle, and the tone and ideology are
all-inclusive. And the new PCT Handbook will be equally helpful and
informative, positive and motivational.

- Brett Tucker, editor Beyond Backpacking, PCT Handbook 3rd edition