[pct-l] A Ray supporter

    First of all I am a rookie. No, I'm not even a rookie yet. I am planning
my summer JMT trip which will be the first extended backpacking trip I've
taken. Two things happened which have helped me get over the top and realize
that I could attempt a hike like this; first I discovered Ray's book, and
then I found this list.  I stumbled across Beyond Backpacking many months ago
and was spellbound by what many on this list are criticizing.  I like that he
doesn't talk in generalities but is very specific and opinionated in every
aspect of his hike.  There's no denying that he feels there is a right way to
do things (Ray's) but, to be fair, he usually gives alternate advice to the
to those who aren't ready to fully commit to ultralight. Bottom line is he
did a great job selling me the concept that I don't have to be superman to do
have a very aggressive outdoor experience, and gave me tremendous insight
into how to get it done.  I have read a couple of other books about
backpacking and found them to be very general and really lacking the passion
that he has in his book.
    I said I was spellbound, but I'm not stupid. I realized there was no way
I was going into the wild for the first time bearing corn pasta and a plastic
tarp. That's when I did more research and discovered this list.  I will
flatter you by saying that I've learned more from reading this list than I
have from his book.  I realize that veteran thru hikers could be offended by
his tone, especially because his techniques are so narrowly defined. But I
think that you probably weren't the intended readers for his book. The
intended readers were wannabes like me who are helped by the detail and
precision of his writing. The end result is that I will be carrying a 22
pound pack, a lot more than his 9, but a lot less (and more effective) than
the 35 pounds I used to carry. And that is one big reason why a 200+ mile
trek in the Sierras now seems doable

Mike