[pct-l] Out of context quotations (was The Ray Way as it is.)

I hate to take any part in this, but I think it's worth noting that at least
one of Mr. Stenzel's Ray Jardine quotes is taken completely out of context.
Mr. Stenzel said:

> From: "William M. Stenzel" <manjovin@jps.net>
>
> "Because thirst is mainly psychological, we distance hikers must
> never rely on it to tell us when we need to drink water."
>
> (rely on what? Remember this sentence while crossing the Mojave.)

I don't have the handbook with me, but Jardine's "Beyond Backpacking" says the
following about water:

<Jardine, Beyond Backpacking, pp. 197-198>
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF THIRST

The sensation of thirst is a poor indicator of when to drink water.  By the
time we feel thirsty we are already dehydrated.  And while a few sips of cold
water usually satisfy thirst, such a small amount is not nearly enough to
re-hydrate the body.  So not only does thirst come too late, but it shuts off
too soon.  Also, when our water bottles are empty, thirst can be a great
tormentor, and the agony only worsens when we allow our minds to dwell on
incessant thoughts of the cold drinks we do not have.  All this is to suggest
that thirst is mainly a psychological effect.  It is a tool for helping us
stay properly hydrated, but like any tool it has its limitations.  So rather
than rely on thirst to tell us when to drink water, we are better off tuning
in to our body's physical signals.
<end of quote>

He then goes on to list the standard physical signals of dehydration (how
often you pee, color of urine, headaches, queasiness, constipation, etc.

Later in the book (p. 359) he describes how he and Jenny tried to avoid
next."  He goes on to say "Unfortunately, this did not work well" and "the
weight of water is inconsequential compared with its value in sustaining
life."

I haven't read the Handbook in a while, but in my opinion some of Mr.
Stenzel's other "words" are also presented out of context.

No matter whether one likes Ray Jardine's style or not, quoting him out of
context is intellectually dishonest and a disservice to everyone on the list.

I have read both the Handbook and Beyond Backpacking.  Beyond Backpacking is
the better written of the two.  In my opinion, the Handbook says a many
sensible, and a few not so sensible, things is an unnecessarily provocative
way.  In fact, it reads almost as if Mr. Jardine was out to pick a fight.  I
suspect that is why some people react so vehemently to it.  He left a lot of
his attitude behind when he wrote Beyond Backpacking.

-- Jim Mayer