[pct-l] Altimeters

Unfortunately, Rich Calliger's statement shows misunderstanding about how
altimeters work, whether electronic or mechanical:

These watches try to do to much. Another example, altitude determination
requires thermal compensation of the mechanism..this is "easy" in an
hand-held unit..there is a bimetallic strip.... but electronically it is a
lot more complex and hence prone to larger errors and requires daily (if
not 2-3 x) recalibration for reliable accuracy. (Read the fine print of the
manual!!)

(1) All altimeters require constant recalibration because they base their
altitude estimation on ambient air pressure (that is, the barometric
pressure).  Even if you do not move vertically, your altitude will appear
to change because the ambient air pressure is changing.  If a storm is
coming through, your apparent altitude may move even faster.  Since the
barometric pressure is constantly changing, the altimeter's estimation of
your altitude is constantly drifting.  It is the altimeter user's
responsibility to keep ahead of the barometer by resetting the altimeter as
often as he/she knows his/her altitude fairly precisely based on other data
(triangulation, landmarks, benchmarks).  This could be MANY times in a day
and has nothing to do with the altimeter's accuracy.

(2) A device's (or algorithm's, or microprocessor program's) accuracy is
not necessarily a function of its complexity, and has almost nothing to do
with its "electronic" complexity.  A simple, but poorly implemented device
could be much less accurate than a complex device.

For example:  I write "1000 feet" on a piece of paper and carry it around
as my altimeter.  Quite simple, but accurate only once in a while (and
when?).

Second example: I store "1000 feet" in a file in my computer and carry IT
around as my altimeter.  Very complex electronically, but has nothing to do
with the program (just a file access) that "calculates" the altitude
(inadequately simple).

(3) As partly stated in (1), the constant recalibration required by a
mountaineer has nothing to do with temperature compensation of an
altimeter.  In reality, the advent of temperature compensation for
altimeters vastly improved their accuracy, especially in airplanes.  The
actual amount of active compensation on a wristwatch altimeter is likely to
be minimal because one's wrist's microclimate when hiking is likely to be
very stable (say, within fifteen degrees F) for days, whereas the altimeter
in the jetliner that can land on a runway under computer control may suffer
temperature changes of over a hundred-fifty degrees F in, say, half-an-hour
(-40 to 110 is easy to imagine).

(4) There are actually two types of calibration supported by the Suunto,
one of the kind discussed in (1) and another that helps recalibrate the
temperature compensation, which would only be done occasionally (I imagine
1x/month would be too often) at a well-calibrated site such as an airport
or USGS benchmark.  Since author did not specify which aspect he was
hammering, we cannot be sure that he was referring to the proper section of
the manual when he made his comments.

I rate myself an expert on these watches now, as well as being a graduate
practicing engineer I loath the day I got suckered" into laying down my
hard-earned...

The author may have a lot of experience returning the devices, but
"expertise" would involve conducting carefully controlled tests in a
chamber where one could control temperature and pressure and collect data
over time, then analyze that data.  Perhaps "partial expert" would be a
little bit more accurate, but in practice it's the most rewarding to let
others call one the expert.  One rewarding aspect of engineering is to get
a new device, put it through its paces, and see how it fares.  The author
did that, found them wanting, and got his money back too.  I'm not sure
where the "suckered" part comes in.

I have a Suunto, but don't have enough experience with it yet to come to
any conclusions except to say that, in my opinion, the user interface is a
little bit complex for easy field operation.  I will take me a while longer
to absorb the button-pushing logic to feel comfortable with the entire
range of functions that it provides.  The manual is easy to read and
follow, though, and there is a one-page summary that I expect to carry with
me this summer.  The display is large and easy to read.  The one-button
compass fix is super.  It is a bit of a power hog: about 18 months per
battery (but you can change it yourself), depending on how often you use
the compass and altimeter.  I carried mine on an 8-day trip in the
Adirondacks with no problems in physical durability.

If you buy an Avocet, don't use it to move furniture -- I did a few years
ago and tore up the way-too-soft buttons.  The Suunto seems to be much more
rugged.

-- Dave

David B. Stockton
davstock@tiac.net