[pct-l] a novice's perspective

Just one more perspective about the ray way:

Two years or so ago, I became fascinated, then
obsessed, with thru-hiking the PCT.  As is my nature,
I gathered as many materials on backpacking in general
and on hiking the PCT as I could find.  I read them
all--sometimes twice or more (Cindy Ross' book, for
example).  I have done so because I am very
inexperienced at backpacking, but have a genuine and
deep desire to experience this trail--from Campo to
Manning Park.

As a backpacking novice, my initial impression of
Jardine's PCT Hiker's Handbook was a good one.  He
made a lot of sense to me.  But then what did I know?
Not much.  I found the sections on the attitudinal
aspects of hiking the most helpful.  One's ability to
adapt to the ever-changing conditions of the trail and
to trail life seems crucial to me for a successful
journey.

As for his go light philosophy, I consider Ray and
Jenny to be well-oiled machines.  Were they to hike
the PCT a fourth time, I suspect they would sleep on
the dirt, eat the dirt, and spend every waking moment
hustling up the trail in an effort to shave even more
weeks off of their previous three month personal best.
 Power to them.

I, however, am not a machine.  Nor do I have a desire
to be one.  Efficient, maybe, but not a machine.

So, as with everything I read, including posts to this
list, I have taken Jardine's advice with a grain of
salt.  I know myself.  I know (or think I know) what I
am capable of doing (or not doing).  I understand my
experience level, and my physical and mental
capabilities.  So, I will plan MY HIKE to accomodate
them, not Jardine or anyone else.

I can't remember who said it on this list, but Jardine
did not reduce his gear to a sixth of a Chicklet until
his THIRD thru-hike.  As he mentions in his Handbook,
their packs on the second hike weighed 22 lbs with 2
1/2 days of food, but no water.  Compared to a 40, 50,
or 60 lb pack, this is light, but not exceptionally
so.  I wonder what his pack weighed the first time?
And didn't he/they hike the AT once or twice before
attempting the PCT?  His/their vast experience
obviously taught them a lot about THEMSELVES and what
THEY  were capable of.  Maybe when I have accomplished
as much, I will feel as confident in myself as they do
in themselves.  Until then...I will understand and
appreciate my limitations and HIKE MY OWN HIKE!

Sara B.  PCT 2000