[pct-l] Altimeters.

I have use a hand-held digital altimeter, the Casio, Acvocet and now Sunoto
watches for 10 years. Only one time, crossing Donahue Pass in snow, was the
altimeter critical. However, many times it was fun. When I rest I like to
know where I am. Particularly up a switchback slope or down a deep valley,
there are not enough landmarks for me to triangulate easily. A map, an
altimeter and knowing generally where you are is enough to locate yourself
in 10 seconds. I would put this product in the "nice to have" for standard
backpacking.

Now to brands. I have had better luck than Rich with the reliability of
these gadgets. However, they are still cumbersome and somewhat complicated
to use. The Sunoto appears more accurate, and more cumbersome.