[pct-l] Vacuum sealing not bear-proof

WT Reynolds said:
>>One thought that I have tried.<<
>>Hide your food under a rock in a stream. <<

There is a company that manufactures a device to do this.
http://www.thesubpack.com/index.html
I have not tried their device, but it looks interesting.
Anyone tried it?

Mike said:

>>Then it occurred to me that a heavy duty vacuum sealed <<
>>bag might be "invisible" to a bear's nose. <<

A bear would have absolutly no trouble sniffing out goodies
sealed in these bags.  Drug smugglers have tried this dodge
many times, and the sniffer dogs can smell the dope thru
the bags (even double and triple sealed), as well as the
luggage or parcel they are stashed in.  I think a bear's
nose is just as good... particularly where food is concerned!

As a practical matter, I use these bags a lot, but not for
bear-proofing.  I buy stuff bulk and repackage it and the
bags work very well for that purpose.  The material is tough
and not liable to tear like zip-loks or polyethylene.  I did
not get the more expensive vacuum unit, however.  You can
with a little practice use the cheaper non-vacuum sealer to
just as good a job.  The trick is to squeeze the air out of the
bag while it is in the sealer just prior to applying the heat.
Lay the bag on a folded towel and then press down using another
towel, or even better, a piece of foam.  Works great.  Write
the cooking instructions and contents on the outside of the
bag with a laundry pen or permanent magic marker.

. . . Kurt