RE: [pct-l] confused

Dear confused,

I can't really say this delicately, but I'll try.  In his book, Ray Jardine
comes across as a pedantic know-it-all.  So in spite of the fact that nearly
everyone agrees that he has some valuable insights, his opinions are very
controversial.  Those who support him and those who revile him have had
numerous flame-fests on this list.

To maintain civility, I try to discuss specific ideas, and keep the
personalities out of it.  But once in a while the new people on the list
need to hear that Ray's book is worth reading.  I own a copy of the now out
of print, "The Pacific Crest Trail Hiker's Handbook"  I've not read his new
book, but I assume it's also worth reading.  Just don't choke on the style
of presentation.  It can be hard to swallow, even for me, a reluctant
supporter.

Finally, in spite of the probability that this will be perceived as a troll,
I really need to give my personal opinion of the qualifications of some of
the people unsupportive of Ray Jardine's ideas:

They haven't hiked as much of the trail as he has.

Ray (and Jenny) thru-hiked the entire PCT three times, the last time in just
over 3 months!  If only those who had that much experience commented, this
would be a very quiet thread ;-)  But my own opinion of Ray's ideas has
improved with each mile I've hiked and with each ounce I've removed from my
pack.

Brian
PCT '97
Crater Lake to Manning '99