Re: [pct-l] Esbit stove for two

I don't know about an Esbit stove for two, but I can comment on the fact
that mine seems barely suitable for one. While I agree that it is
lightweight - perhaps the lightest way to cook a meal short of an open fire
- I find that basic function is more important. Today's first trial run with
the Esbit failed to boil a pint of water using 1 entire cube / 15 minutes,
let alone the touted "8 minutes to rolling boil." Granted, it was around
freezing outside, and the water was quite cool at start-up. And my heat
efficiency may have been lacking.

So I gave it a second run, with slightly warmer water, more protection from
the wind, and a piece of al foil beneath the stove for heat radiation. And I
made sure the pot's lid was properly fitted, etc. This seemed to make all
the difference, producing a semi-rolling boil in around 9 minutes. However,
at around this time I found that the diminishing fuel tab was producing ever
less heat, and in fact it could barely maintain the boil for the duration of
its life. Nor was I readily able to extinguish the tablet, for instance had
I wanted to save its remains for another cooking session. And even so, what
remained - perhaps 5 minutes of burn time worth of tab - was essentially
powder that soon disintegrated. So it essentially takes me 1 full tablet to
cook a meal, at least a meal requiring a pint of water and a brief and
marginal boil. And because I'm considering cooking twice a day on this
summer's hike (up from once a day), the Esbit option now appears rather
impractical.

With Esbit tentatively out, it's a toss-up between the tried and so-so
Trangia alcohol stove and the quick and dirty Whisperlite. The alcohol stove
is heavier than Esbit in terms of fuel weight, and particularly so when the
fuel burns inefficiently due to any kind of wind. I find that wind is the
nemesis of this stove. That, along with the opposite problem, not enough
oxygen. The solution seems to be an integrated pot stand/windscreen that is
left open on one side, the lee side. But still, the Trangia seems to require
a greater weight of fuel (1-2 ozs) to cook a meal than does Esbit at 1 tab
per meal.

Hmmm... to mess around with unreliable and expensive fuel tabs? To stand
guard in front of the Trangia for 15 minutes while the wind whips tendrils
of flame everywhere? Or to pack the heavy, sooty, complicated, but hot and
quick Whisperlite? And all for the sake of cooking the nutrition right out
of the food so that it arrives at my mouth in luke warm condition.

What a compromise plan! Anyone have a technique for making those Esbit fuel
tabs run for multiple meals? Seems to me that after achieving first boil
they become mostly useless.

By the way, I would think that it is indeed legal to mail the Esbit fuel
tabs, considering that mine arrived via mail order. This is also an
advantage of an alcohol stove, for those that may be considering one.
Denatured alcohol is legal to mail in the ground-delivered resupply parcels,
and easily apportioned out in advance of departure using recycled soda
bottles. I found this approach ideal last summer, particularly as fuel was
then one less thing to think about on town days.

- Blisterfree