Re: [pct-l] Thru-hiking, ice axes and self arrest

In a message dated 1/31/00 12:58:02 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
sfox@eskimo.com writes:

<< This email list recently chronicalled the death of one man in the Sierra
 who didn't self arrest. >>

Yea, I heard the news at Kennedy Meadows, prior to my approach of the High
Sierra and didn't take it lightly at all.

However, I don't believe he was thru-hiking (not that, that matters), but I
do think, he was there too early (late May) and got caught (and that does
matter, atleast for those contemplating thru-hiking, with little or no
experience with snow).

I'm a "Ray Day" advocate and wouldn't attempt leaving KM prior to June 15th.

Sly