Re: [pct-l] Thru-hiking, ice axes and self arrest

In a message dated 1/31/00 2:03:07 AM Pacific Standard Time, Slyinmd@aol.com
writes:

<< << This email list recently chronicalled the death of one man in the
Sierra who didn't self arrest. >>

 Yea, I heard the news at Kennedy Meadows, prior to my approach of the High
Sierra and didn't take it lightly at all.

 However, I don't believe he was thru-hiking (not that, that matters), but I
do think, he was there too early (late May) and got caught (and that does
matter, at least for those contemplating thru-hiking, with little or no
experience with snow).

 I'm a "Ray Day" advocate and wouldn't attempt leaving KM prior to June 15th.

FWIW:

As the two articles indicate (below), John began his hike at Boulder Oaks,
with plans to continue to Canada. He was found dead on June 5, 1999; he was
believed to have fallen within the preceding 2-3 days.

John had turned back from snow-covered Forester Pass in an attempt to reach
Horseshoe Meadows. Hurricane Helen decided later to also turn back from
Forester Pass and attempted to catch up and hike with John. (John left the
PCT in the area of Army Pass.) Helen continued south on the PCT to Cottonwood
Pass and walked out at Horseshoe Meadows on June 5.

Charlie Jones

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
... from The Inyo Register  June 8, 1999

"Inyo County Search and Rescue Team members removed the body of an older male
from the mountains near Cottonwood Lake Sunday. The man, apparently hiking
alone, fell and suffered massive head injuries. ...

    According to Sgt. Randy Nixon on the Inyo County Sheriff's Department,
the body of an adult male was located near the 11,500 foot level of Army
Pass. Nixon said evidence at the scene indicated that the victim had suffered
severe injuries from a fall of anywhere between 50 and 200 feet. It is
believed that the accident happened within the preceding 2-3 days. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John William Lowder, 69; doctor, longtime outdoorsman

 By Jack Williams  STAFF WRITER (Union-Tribune Publishing Co.)

 June 15, 1999

 Three months before a hiking accident took his life, an adventurous John
William Lowder revealed the heart of a man at peace with the perils of nature.

 "When I die my wish is to be in the mountains, alone, and to have a few
hours with God," he told a friend.

 Dr. Lowder, 69, was in the midst of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, all the
way from East San Diego County to Canada, when he was found dead June 5 near
Lone Pine.

 "He broke his own rule: Never hike alone," said his former wife, Ida Lowder.

 With a snowstorm expected the previous evening, Dr. Lowder had separated
from other hikers, encouraging them to go on at a pace he could not sustain.
Seeking warmer air, he hiked down a mountain.

 But as the storm hit, impairing his vision, he took one misstep and fell
about 60 feet from a cliff into a canyon, authorities said.