Re: [pct-l] Thru-hiking, ice axes, and self-arrest.

In a message dated 1/30/00 10:24:27 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
rogercar@pacifier.com writes:

<< Sly, if you are wondering, I whole-heartedly recommend all hikers in the
 Sierra during snow-pack season carry ice axes!

No, I'm not wondering about carrying one, I did, and also recommend your
advice to carry.

I was and still am, looking for true life experiences during the typical
thru-hiker season, about having to use them.

But....

Having nothing to fall back on, I supposed during my first experience hiking
in snow, that I was better off waiting for the snow to soften and keeping my
feet, using hiking poles.  Step by step, I was comfortable, given the
circumstances.

The few times I did take out my ax (and stowed my poles), I "felt" off
balance and had the idea that I may need to use that "thing," which wasn't
very encouraging.........

Postholing : ),  Sly