RE: [pct-l] Thru-hiking, ice axes and self arrest

Eskie writes >> This email list recently chronicalled the death of one man
in the Sierra
who didn't self arrest. <<

Well I've read all the published accounts on the death and I don't know
where he did or didn't attempt to self arrest, what equipment he was
carrying or any other details of the fall and death. So I'd be very hesitant
to make any judgments one way or another concerning the death.

It's enough to say accidents can happen and will occasionally take a life.
Though given the statistics of the last few years, it still appears safer to
hike the high country than walk the roads.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
PCT 2000 Journey - http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000