Fwd: Re: [pct-l] Ultralight, a matter of technique?

I generally agree with your comments. I, too, am a gear-aholic who
loves his lightweight toys, and would rather carry a light pack than
a heavy one. I think, however, that many people who have learned the
lightweight religion may fail to remember (or simply weren't alive
when) ALL of us ALWAYS carried heavy packs. ALL of the hikers who
successfully completed the PCT before 1980 had external frame packs,
and packs that were RIDICULOUSLY heavy by today's standards-- but the
percentile success rate for completion was HIGHER than it is today.
The difference was, that hikers started the trip with more
experience, and more experience using the equipment they carried. We
weren't interested in experiments -- we were headed to Manning Park.

Do what you know; take what you know; eat what you like. Don't do
something just because it worked for someone else. If the combination
of your brain, your resolve and your gear can take up to 5 months on
the trail, you're not going to be miserable or late-finishing, you're
simply going to plow on through to the end and then wish you never
had to go home.