Re: [pct-l] attitudes

Title: Re: [pct-l] attitudes
When feeling low on the trail the first thing I do is stop and check my pack for kryptonite. Just kidding.

Mentally what holds me together is the fact that I know it was my choice that got me out there in the first place. I made the decision. Understanding that takes some of the pressure off. I know that I can either keep going or leave. The trail is still going to be there.

I've never decided to quit, but knowing that it is an option and I don't have to put myself through hell is comforting and allows some mental freedom.

I think sometimes I would get down if I was thinking about too large of a goal. If I started the day thinking I had to make it to a certain point and was falling behind as the day progressed I would feel pressured. Mentally stopping and breaking down a goal into smaller achievable steps would ease some of that pressure.

There are also some carrot on the end of a stick tricks. You can give yourself and extra half hour break at the top of a long climb. Or an extra snickers bar or other food treat.

Here's a fitting excerpt from my PCT journal:

Jason was out in front and I followed in an uninspired manner. The climb to Seavy Pass was grueling. Not only was I carrying a pack but my poor attitude as well.

I dropped down as the trail then rollercoastered many ups and downs with jump across fords. I was finding myself still lacking drive.

Back before I began the hike while I was still living in New York City two friends of mine and I went for a winter weekend hike on the Appalachian Trail. My friend Tim had the impression that I was some super hiker since I hiked the whole AT. But hiking with me for the first time he realized he was mistaken! He said to me "You barely made it didn't you?" I responded "To be successful hiking long distances just 51% of your mind and body needs to keep going. It might be ugly sometimes but if you can maintain at least 51% you've got a chance."

So today I was reminded of that exchange and searched my mind and body to see if I had 51%. I did. In fact I think I had 52.5% which gives me some room to work with. Haha!

Troubadour
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the pacific crest trail