[pct-l] Running shoe mania

I read with amusement at the running shoe bashers, and can't help tossing
in more fuel. For hiking off of snow, it just plain works a lot better.
This isn't from someone who started hiking 6 months ago, but from someone
who has hiked 30 years. The running shoes are a big paradigm shift! No,
they aren't recommended in the backpacking books or at your local
outfitter.

Brand of shoe -- who cares. Get the cheapest shoes at the discount place
that fit and have a grippy tread. My $25 shoes lasted for 500 miles with
no breakdown of the soles. I hope to get another 500 miles out of them.
The tops are ripped in a few places, but you should see some of the
thruhikers shoes. Totally trashed after a while but still a-walkin'.
Folks with pronating or sublimating or knee problems or hip replacement
surgery might need special insoles. I saw several use these with great
success. I guess I'm lucky that my bones are fairly straight.

Wet socks -- I had less blisters walking in the rain. And I only wore one
pair of thin socks when it was pretty wet. In dry conditions I use the old
backpack book and outfitter philosophy of two pairs of socks, one thin and
one thick wool or equivalent. This was very comfortable for the 10 hours
on my feet.

I realize many old-timers from the 70's are used to Vibram soled boots,
and so was I. Until I tried the new method. I say to the old timers -- TRY
IT! 9 out of 10 thruhikers I saw up here in N Washington had running
shoes. The mileage difference with the same effort is really amazing. I
remember hiking in the 70's with lowtop basketball shoes and getting by
just fine. But I was a kid then and healed quickly. Nowadays the running
shoes are far better than those old crummy tennies.

Quit worrying about your ankles and toes. Otherwise you'd be wearing
steel-toed knee-high boots around the office, factory, school, home, or
wherever you hang out. I've twisted my ankle with heavy boots more often
than with running shoes.

OK, running shoes aren't for everyone and not appropriate in deep snow or
ice. Especially climbing glaciers like Rainier or Adams. FOr that, try
super lightweight track spikes!

End of ranting but it was fun!