Re: [pct-l] Hurray Tom, Good Job!!!

on 1/20/00 8:09 PM, Montedodge@aol.com at Montedodge@aol.com wrote:

> Here's one, what if the weather stays cold and icy all day? Do ultras just sit
> in camp and pray for sun??

I went ultra-light and never had a problem with snow, ice or cold preventing
me from leaving camp. Being an ultra-light (IMHO) does not mean that you
blindly go without regard for the environment or potential danger. It means
that you go with the knowledge of what you and your gear choices can allow
you to do.

If you need gear to face every potential problem to enjoy the PCT that's
wonderful. If you need less, that's wonderful too.

After all were out there to enjoy nature, not win a contest or prove a
point.

on 1/20/00 8:09 PM, Montedodge@aol.com at Montedodge@aol.com wrote:

> Next year some ultra should just go barefoot through the entire PCT
> snow and all!!! Just think , no socks, heavy boots, crampons and maybe even
> an at-a-boy from Jardine himself when finished.  Take ultra hiking to a new
> level, Ya!!!

I went over a portion of Mather pass in the snow barefooted. After a hundred
yards and a barefoot glissade I learned my lesson and put my flip-flops back
on. :)

Troubadour
www.pcthiker.com | experience the pacific crest trail