[pct-l] Self Arrest & Frostbite

In a message dated 01/18/2000 9:27:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Montedodge@aol.com writes:

<< When falling
 into your ice axe arrest, your toes go a long ways in also stopping a slip
by
 digging in.  >>

DON'T make this mistake!  If you are sliding downhill, feet first and dig
your toes or heels in, you will cartwheel headfirst down!  ONLY use your feet
to steer and as a last resort if the snow/ice that you're sliding on is
sliding with you.

I still have two toes that have no feeling from frostbite on my '77 hike.
Keeping your feet dry and warm are a concern in early spring in the Sierras.
Take it seriously, the consequences can be permanent!

Greg "Strider" Hummel