[pct-l] The latest trend.

I don't think footware are the most important thing on a PCT hike. I think your
feet are. I left Kennedy Meadows last year with a 100 lb. pack and a pair of
Asics running shoes (my favorite.) No blisters, no falls down terrible snow
slopes (even though I was the first one through to Yosemite last year -- it was
all snow.) I did get a little frostbite, but that was from falling in a frozen
lake.
    How does this work? I ran cross country in high school and college, and run
occasional marathons. I stand ten hours a day or so for work. My feet have big
pads on the bottom that you could stick a pin into if you wanted to (but please
don't unless you know acupunture). My feet are relatively tough, so I can wear
running shoes in most conditions.
    Toughen up your feet. Run around barefoot a lot -- play barefoot ultimate
frisbee! Garden barefoot.

I honestly don't understand boots for backpacking. They seem so restrictive and
inevitably rub your feet in bad places. Your poor feet are in there sweating
away, and then the top of your foot (not tough) gets ripped up. Many years ago,
I bought a pair of big, mean Raichle (sp) Montagne full leather Norweigian welt
boots. I stomped around through the year long break in process: blisters,
sweating, and heavy. When they started to soften up, they fell apart. I had a
pair of boots when I hiked the Long Trail. Sixteen days of rain and they pretty
much rotted off my feet. I went back to running shoes. I'd like to use trail
hikers, but most of them are so cheesy and gadget laden that they don't last as
long as running shoes --Adidas ones especially.

Here's a question, though: In the Sierra, my shoes would freeze stiff every
night. I had to make sure they were unlaced and wide open so I could put my feet
in in the morning. Then there was the uncomfortable stomping around process.
Ideas on preventing them from freezing....and no, I won't put wet shoes in my
sleeping bag.

will