RE: [pct-l] Shoes

Title: Re: [pct-l] Shoes
I have crossed many high sierra snowy passes using my Danner Lights and have had completely dry feet. These boots are a nylon and leather combination with a gortex inner liner. I have also forded many high sierra streams and kept my boots perfectly dry by the simple method of taking them off and crossing in aquasox. Somehow I just can't believe that cold, wet, blistery feet are worth the weight savings nor do I believe that it means more miles in the long run.

It appears to me that the long resupply between Cottonwood and Vermillion Valley requires thru hikers to make many more miles per day than is really advisable and to cut gear weight down so that their overall health is degraded. After Cottonwood, resupply at Onion Valley and another resupply at Muir Trail Ranch seems indicated. Although Vermillion Valley Resort is a more fun stop because you can get beer, a cabin and the folks are really thru-hiker friendly, VVR is really an all day affair while Muir Trail Ranch is just a couple of miles detour. I would wait till Red's Meadow and take the tram to Mammoth Mountain Inn [they have a hiker special room rate] to get my beer.