[pct-l] Shoes w/heavy packs

Saw a comment about tenny shoes and heavy packs. I think it depends on the
person. I've successfully worn light running shoes with a staggeringly
heavy pack by thruhiker standards. This was while on approach to the
Cascade big volcano climbs. For example, I've hiked about 9 miles with a
65 lb pack (full of climbing gear and other claptrap) in running shoes.
This was on terrain varying from very steep climber's path to relatively
level and nice tread (this was on a Glacier Peak climb). My hips were
bruised and sore, but my feet ok. No ankle problems.

So I'd suggest folks try running shoes under the conditions they expect to
find. I'm sold on them. It makes a tremendous difference compared to stiff
climbing boots. Feet are more comfy and I feel like a ballet dancer
compared to a lumberjack. Except for the ballerina in my backpack!

As for snow, I must admit being pretty nervous crossing Fire Creek Pass in
the running shoes. (Note: I only did the northern most 250 miles of the
PCT.) They have little or no edge and not enough stiffness.  Fortunately
there were steps there already. I'm a pretty cautious person on snow so
the more confident might do better. There's no way I'd cross that kind of
terrain without an ice axe and training on how to self arrest (including
being pulled down the slope with a rope while arresting).

Just my two scents...