[pct-l] Re: Trekking Poles?

> From: JonAPhipps@aol.com

> I'm really weighin' in 2 promote the fat-tipped type-0-pole, as in Trax
> Trekkers, vice the quite-popular Leki, carbide-tipped type of pole.  1st off,
> the larger rubber tip on the TT affords much more purchase on most ever'
> surface, save 4 ice & snow (at which time the rubber tip can B removed 2
> negotiate the sutff).  More Mportantly, it's obvious the damage those
> ski-pole type metal tips do 2 the trl. as compared 2 the blunter rubber types.

I don't like the fat rubber tips on slick, muddy slopes either.  They slip
unless placed at just the right angle.  I have a couple of single poles
with wide tips (which can be screwed off on one) as well as a pair of
Leki's.  I also have the add on rubber tips for the Leki's, but have only
used them a bit on paved trails.

Paul