Re: [pct-l] Golden Access Pass

In a message dated 1/6/2000 1:05:07 PM PST, jim writes:

<< ... about obtaining a permit to enter
 into Canada.  I'm curious how many alumni here
 did this. Or is it something we need not worry
 too much about? >>

I wrote to the Canadian Immigration Centre for the forms, filled them out
(one page, easy), and returned them.  They were stamped and sent back to me
before I started my hike, and I threw them into my last food resupply box.
The instructions were to present the forms to the Canadian officials upon
request or to turn them in at Hope, BC.  We forgot to turn them in, and that
was the end of it.  US Customs had no interest in any Canadian forms.

Seems to me that it's worth the small effort to have the forms ready in case
they're needed.  There's no hassle unless you plan an extended stay in
Canada, and the record of your use of the trail just may effect maintenance
funding decisions in the Provincial Park.

The address for forms is:   Canadian Immigration Centre, Huntington, B.C.,
Canada  V0X 1M0.  There's more info on page 21-22 of the PCT Trail Guide,
Vol. 2.