Re: [pct-l] Golden Access Pass

In a message dated 1/6/00 9:49:00 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
kpherzog@cdsnet.net writes:

<< These passes provide free entrance to those national parks, monuments,
 historic sites, recreation areas, and national wildlife refuges that
 charge an entrance fee. >>

On the way back east from the California section of the PCT this summer,
driving with a buddy, we decided to get a Golden Eagle Pass and check out
some of the NP's on the way home (Crater Lake, Craters of the Moon, Grand
Teton, Yellowstone) and it just so happened that at Mt. Rushmore, the closest
parking area was privately run and we would have to pay to park there.  There
was a very small lot down below (125 steps) that didn't charge, so we used
that one, otherwise it was "free" and a very nice take.

It would be nice if the G.E.P. also counted for summit fees, I dislike
getting "nickeled and dimed" to death.

Sly