[pct-l] fees

thanks for the post Tony DIlorenzo..  That is the info I am looking for.

One unfortunate part of all of this to my knowledge, (old news--no
surprise) is that us "hikers" do not have a huge corporation to lobby for
our interest.  We don't have the big companies that have a monetary
interest in our desires to lobby for us.. no snow mobiling, tobacco or
automobile companies... Our voices have an unfair advantage--we are small
voices...what is our leverage? As the people, what can we do when the
government decides to make the fees permanent after we have shouted loud
and often?  Even if we had louder voices backing the opposition of trail
fees (i.e., REI, Marmot, North Face) (and indeed we may already have) what
could we possibly use for leverage?  If you keep these fees, I won't pay
them and hike in the forest? oh no, that'll scare em'.  It is also hard
for me to imagine that a large company who caters to folks that have the $
flow to throw $600 at a Gore-Tex jacket would be extremely concerned about
the folks who are upset about paying a "minimal" amount like $50 for a
weekend backpack.  Most likely, these are not their main clientele.

I also find it ironic that the justification I heard for the Smithsonian
museums being free was that "it is important that no one in this great
country is excluded from this enriching experience because of inability to
pay..this is a luxury that must be open for all people".  I can't
understand why our public lands are perceived as something totally
different.

It's funny that the story I read about the extension of this program was
that "it worked so wonderfully" that they were extending it.  I believe
that is the tactic.. make the people feel that all of their neighbors
support the fees... divide and conquer.  Indeed, most people in this world
will go along with the "perceived" flow.  Everyone else "knows best".
Sometimes you have to be like the salmon.. find the group of us that are
swimming up stream.

Getting folks organized together to create one loud voice is the beginning
of change. I know there has been some demonstrations at some popular trail
heads here in WA, but I heard about them after the fact.  I'll post any
info I can dig up.

The people united will never be divided. (sorry I couldn't refuse, I have
WTO on the brain)

Laurel
Seattle

To lighten things up a tad..