[pct-l] Trail Fees

Brian said:

>Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:18:54 -0800
>From: "Robinson, Brian A" <brian.robinson@compaq.com>
>Subject: RE: [pct-l] User Fees
>
>Hi Monte,
>
>Don't get me wrong.  I'm no supporter of user fees either, but to be
fair
>you should point out that Washington has no state income tax to pay
for
>stuff like trails.  Just sales tax and property tax...
>
>Oregon has no sales tax, but high property taxes and a state income
tax.

>Where I live here in good ole California we have all three and
they're STILL
>trying to add user fees.  Go figure.
>
>Brian

No figuring necessary.  These taxes (income, sales, property) all fund
State and Local Governments, neither of which have much to do with
trails and trailhead fees.  The fees we are complaining about are all
_Federal_ since almost all of the trail system is on Federal lands.
We (the People) own these lands outright.  We should not be forced to
pay fees in addition to our Federal taxes for access to them.

. . . Kurt