[pct-l] OLD Gals of the trail now

Just a quick report on our hike on Section E and F  Agua
Dulcie/Mojave/Walker Pass. We came of the trail at Walker Pass on Dec.
10th.  The weather from Mojave to Walker Pass was undoubtedly the worst
winds I have ever been in.  the temps were from 18 degrees at night to
about 40 degrees during the day, with winds blowing constantly.  I felt
we were more in a survival mode.  We had the tarp tent, which only
flattened on us once, and one end came down once.  We became very sharp
at securing it and innovative.

We were in our sleeping bags at 5 p.m. Asleep at 5.30 p.m.  awake at 9
p.m. worrying about  winds then hunkered down in side our bags until 11
p.m. and tried to forget the very high winds that sounded like frieght
trains over your head most of the night. I wore all of my clothes all
night and day, never took off my hat and wow did my hair hurt. You were
in your sleeping bag for 13 hours....We were not high mileage hikers and
it took us 7 1/2 days from Mojave to Walker Pass.

Would I do that again, probably not  in December, and I would not take my
tarp tent, but would take the Seirra Design Flashlite Clip tent and a
warm body to share it with.

The earlier section Aqua Dulcie to Mohave taught us about Cold,Cold
SantaAnnas. Our first disaster after waving goodbye to the car was to
realize we did not have the hiking poles (which are incidentally the
poles for the tarptent.  We did find some Yucca tree branches that served
very well.....Could not have done any of this hike without the help of
good friend Jim Ostdick who shuffled my car from Aqua Dulce to Mohave to
Walker Pass and who stashed water for us.  And also to Letitbe and Skunk
who had stashed water from Aqua Dulce and then did not hike that section.
They left directions for us on the water.

The last night we had such a heavy frost I thought it had snowed. But all
in all,it was a great time.  Used the Esbit Stove and used the Esbit
tablets for the first section.  then used the cheaper version that Henry
Shires talked about.  But we had to use twice as many tablets to get the
same effect as the Esbit tablets.  Came home with only one tablet left.
Our favorite food was Mountain House Beef Stew over instant potatoes
Thanks,
Marge  The Old gal    and her friend the Old Gal from Whistler B.C.
Canada.