Re: [pct-l] Alcohol and Other stoves

In a message dated 12/1/1999 Tom Simon writes:

<< I have been doing experiments with different Alcohol over the past month or
 more. I have tried to be consistent with the amount of water I tried to boil
 (3 cups), and with the starting temperature of the water (50 degrees f. as
 many streams are at high altitude). >>

It seems more normal to heat 2 cups (1 pint or about 500 ml) of water when
testing the stoves.  This is the amount required for many individual meals.
Others have found that it takes twice as much fuel to boil half again as much
water.  This sounds about right to me since you would have a longer heating
time and more heat loss with the same heat source.  Brian and I each carried
a stove, so were able to prepare meals faster and with less total weight for
stove and fuel on a typical 5 or 6 day hike between resupplies.