[pct-l] Alcohol Stoves

Hi again Tom Reynolds,
I got to do another 2 hours of testing with my Alcohol stove. I think you're
right about that venturi effect, and the more restricted opening actually
draws more air.
My objective is to make an alcohol stove suitable for thru hikers that can
cook for two people so I have to get 3 cups of water to boil. I made the
simple Mayer-Robinson Tuna can stove exactly to the specifications. About
this stove it says "Amazingly, this stove boils 2 cups (16 oz) of room
temperature water using 2 tablespoons of denatured alcohol in 5 minutes" A
more real-life objective is to boil three cups (24 oz) of water that starts
at around 50deg.F (as are many streams at 10,000 feet). After decreasing the
top opening to about 1.2" diameter it seems to require about 4 tbsp (20 g in
weight) of Methyl Hydrate Alcohol. I switched from a 1.5 l to a 1 l pot and
this reduced the time. The bottom line is FOR A TOTAL WEIGHT OF 18 OZ. (4OZ.
STOVE AND 14 OZ) FUEL IT IS POSSIBLE TO COOK 20 TWO PERSON MEALS using a
quiet Alcohol stove. I should soon be adding the experimental stove
construction details to my hiking site, stay tuned.
Tom Simon