RE: [pct-l] At home alcohol test

Not to disparage propane butane gas, but a couple of questions and issues
come to mind.

What is the effective temperature of the fuel mix at time of ignition.  I
would submit that the effective temperature would be nearer freezing or even
higher.  The p-b is mixed with ambient air which has a temperature of 70
degrees if you are inside the house while performing this test.  The
percentage of air in the mix would have a direct relaltionship with  the
fuel temperature, increasing it toward the ambient temperature as more air
is added.  This begs the question of what happens when the air as well as
the fuel is at ten below?

Secondly, I am concerned about your statement that you observed a weak
flame.  What is the boil time for water ( or the time to melt snow).  As I
seem to recall from chemistry classes, it takes a arge number of calories to
turn ice or snow to liquid.  How many BTUs is the stove producing under
these circumstances when it is cold.

Until I saw some information on both of these questions, I would be very
cautious in relying on the propane butane stove at altitude in the cold.

IMHO

Ted