Re: [pct-l] When's an ounce not and ounce?

In a message dated 11/21/1999 7:43:38 AM PST, ronm@fallingwater.com writes:

<< So sure enough I when back and measured a quarter cup of water and a
quarter
 cup of alcohol. As expected the water weighed 4 oz. On the other hand a
 quarter cup of alcohol weighs in at 3 oz.  So Roy is your pack feeling any
 lighter?  >>

Yeah, Ron!  Good point.  Alcohol is a little lighter than water but I didn't
calculate how much.  Gas is also lighter than water.  Then there are those
who want to "stretch" their alc fuel by adding water.  Also, my pint water
bottle, in which I carry the alc fuel is really a 500 ml bottle, or 16.9
fluid oz, and I don't leave the extra 0.9 oz at home.  Just trying to apply
the KISS principle.  All the comments on this stove thread have been
interesting and informative.