[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #941

    I'm not sure if I am responding to the list in the correct way but here
goes........ Someone a few days ago asked about the burn time of a primus
fuel cylinder. I have just done a test on the 215 gram size. I used a Peak 1
3001-700T backpack stove. I wanted to find out how many days a canister of
fuel would last me. I used a medium setting (doesn't have a fixed setting but
I just cranked it up about half way). At the setting I chose I was able to
boil 2 cups of 50 degree water in 5 minutes.  I was at low altitude with no
wind (in my kitchen at home........1,300 feet) The stove burned for 230
minutes. I was really surprised by the capacity. If you figure a generous 15
minutes a day for cooking one canister should last me 2 weeks.
    The choice of white gas over butane/propane puzzles me. I am planning to
hike the JMT next summer......... my first extended backpacking trip so I am
very interested in a foolproof but efficient stove. I think the weight of the
canister was 12 full (4 oz empty) and my old peak 1 is 8oz. It seems a
lighter, more foolproof and more versatile choice (it simmers!) than any
white gas stove. Am I missing something here?  I can see the advantage of
white gas over butane/propane over a long haul like the PCT (availability),
but what about a shorter hike like I am planning?
    By the way I have been lurking and learning for some time now and I want
to thank those of you to take the time to share your knowledge and experience.

Mike in Tempe AZ