Re: [pct-l] Drop-out, decompression, and conditioning

Tenacious Joanne,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you were one of the start late, hike
fast crew.  I do remember your early start and several early challenges.  And
you are one of the most tenacious persons that I have come across!  (I mean
that in a complimentary way)  When I met you at the ADZPCTKOP I thought that
you would never make it through.  So much for my ability to judge
stick-to-it-ness.

You are right on with the ability of a younger body to take the stress and
come out on top.

<<It is unfortunate that the people that leave the trail in Northern
 California, usually do so quietly, and we rarely get to learn from their
 experience. >>

I agree. It would be interesting to get more of their point of view and learn
what the early warning signs are, where the motivation begins to wane, what
foods are / are not getting eaten, how many are hiking alone versus in
groups, etc.

 As many have said here and I too, the PCT is 90 to 95% mental, about 5%
physical and the rest is fate.

 It is good to be forewarned, however, just as Jardin suggests a strategy for
hiking the trail that is clearly not suited for everyone, any prescribed
conditioning, pacing, nutrition, etc. will not be useful for everyone.  THE
best forewarning that anyone can do is to do training hikes, get to know your
body, your pace, your limitations, your nutritional requirements, your water
intake requirements.  A broad collection of information on what others have
done is incredibly useful and is what this list is focused upon.  However, to
fail to know yourself before hiking the PCT may in fact lead to realizations
that preclude a thru-hike.

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel